Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Life's Accomplishment

So I'm just gonna write here, thinking out loud really...so bear with me. I watched "Julie & Julia" tonight with my roommate and it really got me thinking. This woman took something that she liked to do and she did it everyday for a year. She actually completed something for the first time in her life. It made me think that i could do something like that too. Like what tho?? thats the big question. I have set out to do many things in my life and I don't feel like I have accomplished much, besides track. But for some reason, I don't feel like that counts. I don't know why. Anyways, I want to do something with my life, and I want to do something big. Then one day I can look back and be proud that I at least accomplished something. Or I can have a really good story to tell my kids, or my colleagues or whoever is willing to listen. Who knows, maybe it will make a good first date story lol. So, I have been thinking the last few days about making a grand trip. I of course need to plan well and train hard to get into prime condition for this trip. I need to find a buddy to come along for the ride, because my dad insists I cannot do this trip alone. This is going to be a very personal, very exhausting (both physically and emotionally) trip tho so I would need someone who is close to me, who understands the reasons why I am doing this, who understands me (perhaps better than I understand myself), and who accepts all of this craziness! As of now, I have no idea who this person will be or when I will find them. So for now, my trip will stay in the planning stages and I will work hard to be prepared for the day this trip finally takes place. And now, to ease your anticipation, the destination of this trip....I want to hike the Pacific Crest Trail, or at least as much of it as I can in one summer. Eventually I want to hike the entire 2,650 miles. But for now, maybe just a piece of it. My original plpan was to set out next summer and take a month or the whole summer, depending on finances, to hike as much of it as I can. And then the next summer, or fall break, pick up where I left off and continue on the trail. I know this is an ambitious dream and it will take lots of hard work to train and prepare but I think it would be the accomplishment of a lifetime (or at least my lifetime) to say that I took on the Pacific Crest Trail and that I conquered it! So if anyone is with me, then jump on board! If anyone has any tips or advice, I will gladly take them. I am going to need all the help I can get!

P.S. Thanks for listening :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey babe,
    I think this sounds like an awesome idea! I would love to do it with you, even though I'm 600+ miles away and I might not be there for the actual carrying out of the hike. But I can train "with" you, we can record our progress on our blogs and keep each other posted. It sounds like setting small goals along the way to make the BIG goal happen. Now that I'm done with work early in the afternoon, maybe I can do some training during the day. If I could be there I would, but if you'd like, I will be there in spirit and through this blog. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds great heather, i love it!! u r always with me in spirit! im pretty excited abt it! now i just have to train for it, which is gonna be the hard part!

    ReplyDelete